Monday, February 21, 2005

The Training Run

So on Saturday a few of us did the a long run in the Sierra foothills. It is three weeks to Way too Cool), a 50k race in Cool, California so it is time for a long run this weekend. The run was organized by the Western States 100 Mile organization and it was the first of a series of training runs that they put on. It was a chance to run alongside some more elite (or fanatical or obsessed or deranged) runners from the true ultra-running crowd. When one gal was talking of having done an easy 100 miler in Huntsville earlier in the month, you know you don't quite have the same frame of reference - how could a 100 mile run of any type be "easy".

As always, it was interesting how my mood changed during the day, it felt good at the start, a lot of friends there, a lot very experienced ultra runners and really good atmosphere. We were bused out from Auburn to Georgetown and the Sliger Mine Road (just above the Rucky Chucky crossing of the American River). The course we ran was the last 22 miles of the Western States 100. The first 12 or so miles were excellent, great conditions, a lot of flat and downhill, some spectacularly beautiful country and I was feeling soooo good.

Then the whole thing turned bad, I hit some kind of wall, and had no energy and the toughest part of the run followed, it started to rain, it seemed to be all steep uphills with sucking mud.... I was having no fun at all. I just about decided to throw the towel in on anything longer than a marathon in the future. Of course that frequently happens and I know to pay no attention to it afterwards.

At the end of the run, the rain turned really bad, and so the finish line "celebrations" turned into a hose me down, get some dry clothes on and get the hell out of there.
A day later now and I am sore from the run, but I am forgetting all the bad bits and looking forward to the next chance to get out in the foothills. Of course I haven't registered for the American River 50 yet, so I still have time to bail on that one.

No comments: