Monday, July 11, 2005

A little motorcycle ride...

Some great motorcycle roads this weekend – Highway 128 from Winters over to the Napa Valley, Skaggs Spring Road from Geyserville on 101 over to the Coast, Highway 1 south on the Coast to Bodega and finally the Oakville Grade Road from Sonoma Valley over to the Napa Valley. Some of the best scenery in California and really good fun to ride. My favorite bit was the Skaggs Spring Road which I had never been on before.

Again I was struck with how nice the area around Sebastopol is – a great climate, none of Sacramento’s heat, quite rural and yet still close enough to San Francisco and all the city things. And, unfortunately, I was again struck with how unremarkable Sacramento is. I never seem to come back to Sacramento and think – what a beautiful place Sacramento is. Certainly it has it’s good points and certainly it is my home but it is not scenic, it is not spectacular in any way, and it pales at the side of the country I saw at the weekend, and, above everything else, way above everything else, at this time of year, it is too damed hot (way over 100 degrees today).

No comments: