Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Poor old Wordsworth

What is this world coming to? I was dismayed when I was back in England recently to hear that in Wordsworth country (The Lake District) it had been a poor year for daffodils and so, to compensate, one establishment was actually planting artificial daffodils so that people could enjoy their expected Easter floral display.

Now today I heard on the radio that in another attempt to enhance tourism in the Lake District and to make Wordsworth more acceptable to younger folk, Wordsworth's most famous poem - I wandered lonely as a cloud... - has been updated and set to a hip-hop beat. What's worse there is an associated video with some guy dressed up as a squirrel prancing around these fields of artificial daffodils.

I'm sorry - I just don't see the need for this.

No comments: