Sunday, October 07, 2007

A Doc Watson Concert

Last night I went to the Mondavi Center, the fine new concert hall in Davis to see Doc Watson – a guitarist who is now in his 80’s and still performing. He is one of those legendary figures in the acoustic guitar world, having developed his own distinctive finger-picking and flat-picking styles in the middle of last century. He is now an old man and is stooping and a little frail, but he was in good voice and his playing was still good. Though, I think even he would admit, not as good as in his prime.

A strange thing happened as I was picking up my tickets. I bought them on the internet, and arranged to pick them up at the hall (in the US they call this “the Will Call” – a strange name that I never quite got, but it is just one of those quirky American English things - there are more here). There was a long line, and when I get to the window, I gave my name and the lady pulled what should have been my ticket. However when asked to confirm my address things didn’t match. Meanwhile, I hear someone a couple of windows down having the exact same problem. He was also Steve White, he was being asked to confirm what was in fact my address. So we switched windows, and all was well.

I suppose Steve White is a fairly common name, but two of us picking up tickets for the same concert at the exact same time – now there’s a coincidence.

No comments: