Monday, February 11, 2008

Skiing in Tahoe

This weekend I finally made it up into the mountains to go skiing. While I enjoy skiing tremendously, and while we have some great ski areas close by Sacramento, I have been a very infrequent skier in recent years. I just don't seem to have the enthusiasm to get organized and get up the mountain and fight with the crowds in the lift lines and on the slopes. Over the last 5 or 6 years the only time I have skied is when my friend Dave comes over from Austin for his annual week of skiing, and then I usually only manage one day. Must be getting old.

So anyway, this week Dave was over and a few of us Sacramentans (the usual suspects from the Ex-Exlog crowd) went up to Tahoe to ski with him.


We skied at Homewood, a ski area that I had never even considered before – it is a little further away from Sacramento than most resorts, and I had always considered it a pretty lightweight ski area – small, not particularly challenging, etc. Well, I was wrong – it provided us with a magnificent days skiing. Yes, it is smaller than the Squaws and the Northstars, but that has some benefits – we could park the car 30 ft away from where we put our skis on, it is much cheaper ($51 per weekend day versus $75 or so for the big resorts), and relatively speaking it wasn’t at all crowded. The slopes were very well groomed, and it certainly has some challenging slopes (but at my age I don't need to be challenged too much on the ski slopes – that can lead to broken bones). To top things off, Homewood has unsurpassed views of Lake Tahoe - it sits right by the side of the lake and once you get up the hill a little there are these jaw-dropping panoramas of the lake below.


So all in all a good days skiing. I should really do more of it, I know.

No comments: