Sunday, March 23, 2008

Bees take up residence again...

As you might know, it has been a terrible time for bees here in the U.S. of late. I have been unable to keep a healthy hive going this past couple of years despite my best intentions. Nevertheless, I am determined to keep trying.

I had an empty hive in the back of my yard, just a couple of empty boxes, ready for my bees which I ordered recently and which should be arriving in April. Well this week I noticed some activity around the hive and at first I thought it was just the odd wandering bee that was looking around inside for perhaps some old honey. But the activity was sustained and today I took the lid off to find a more than just a few bees. Although I didn't see the queen, it looks like a swarm has taken up residence. How nice is that. Of course I just ordered two packages of bees (a package is a queen and 3 pounds of bees) that will be arriving in April, so now I might have 3 hives in the back yard - feast or famine.

Incidentlally, a truck carrying bees hives up the Sacramento Valley overturned just south of here last weekend and caused quite a stir. As you can imagine some 400+ hives tipped over on the side of the road would be quite a big deal - not your usual clean up job. I wonder if my bees are refugees from the overturned truck - who knows.

No comments: