Sunday, July 19, 2020

Tahoe Rim Trail - Part 2

Saturday, 18 July - Rubicon Trail to Phipp's Peak
The previous post described my attempts to finish off the circumnavigation of Lake Tahoe on the 176 mile Tahoe Rim Trail.  This weekend I was up there again to finish off another section of the trail.  This section from the Rubicon Trail to Phipp's Peak was a little more demanding in that it needed an off road vehicle, which I just happen to have.  On the Friday afternoon I set off for Tahoe and from the west side of the lake, just north of Tahoma I took the Rubicon Trail up into the mountains.  The Rubicon Trail is an Off Highway Vehicle trail over the Sierras and down the other side to the Sacramento Valley.  It is one of the most challenging off road trails in the area and so it attracts all manner of fat tired high clearance vehicles.  Not my kind of wilderness experience.
Miller Lake on the Rubicon Trail
I was expecting a fairly easy ride up to the summit but that was not to be it is quite a challenging rocky ride up there.  The sun was just setting when I reached the TRT trail crossing and I found a spot off the side of the trail to park my vehicle.  One thing I forgot to bring was bug spray and as soon as I got out of my truck the mosquitos were circling.  They were so pesky I immediately abandoned attempts to cook dinner and got inside the truck and dined on cheese, yoghurt and fruit washed down by a couple of beers.  No need to suffer those mosquitos.

I settled in for an early night intending to get up at first light and run.  It wasn't a quiet night however as lots of off road vehicles came up the trail, floodlights blazing in the night.  I think the last ones came through around 1:00 am.

After not the best of nights sleep I awoke just before 5:00 had a light breakfast and set off as soon as it was light enough to see the trail.  This is the best time to be on the trail - nice and cool and lovely light.  I nearly stepped on a big old toad making his way across the trail - what a monster.
Richardson Lake
After a couple of miles I reached Richardson Lake - a nice spot to camp for backpackers and through hikers.  The trail was reasonably good for running with a lot of smooth trail neither too steep downhill or uphill.  It was mostly in the trees so there was not a lot to see beyond the immediate forest but it made it nice and cool and a pleasant run.  At times you could see either Rubicon Reservoir or possibly Rockbound Lake over to the west but mostly I was looking at trees.
The Trail above Richardson Lake
As I got out about 7 or 8 miles and near General Creek and Phipps Creek the mosquitos became a nuisance.  In my runs in the previous weeks I had not been bothered at all by those pesky insects but today they were everywhere.  Whenever I stopped to rest I heard their high pitched whine around my head and I saw them gathering on my legs.  That made things a bit uncomfortable as I dearly wanted to take a rest but they wouldn't allow it.
A beautiful old tree - Cedar?
I was looking for the trailhead junction over to Meek's Bay around the south side of Phipp's Peak as that was where I stopped the previous time.  It is always further than you expect but finally I arrived.  The mosquitos were there too so I didn't stop and just headed on back.  The phone said 9.8 miles out so that would be the best part of 20 miles for the day.
A more open and scenic section
I was making reasonable time and with the help of the mosquitos I wasn't taking many rest stops.  I was back at Richardson Lake before I knew it and then it was a bit of a slog over the last 2 miles to the end.  It was a most welcome sight to be back at my vehicle and its mosquito free interior.  Next time I will bring bug spray.
 
My vehicle awaits













No comments: