Sunday, October 04, 2020

Crosby Beach - September 2020

After completing my 14 days of quarantine in my mum’s old house I was finally released in early September to visit a few places in the UK.  My first destination was Crosby, on the Irish Sea coast just above Liverpool.   Crosby beach is the location of a sculpture installation by Anthony Gormley, Sir Anthony’s Gormley, called Another Place.  It consists of 100 life size bronze statues of Mr Gormley, naked, all looking out to sea. 

The statues are mounted on the sands, each one a hundred or so yards from the other.  As the tide goes out their bases are exposed but as the tide comes in the statues get submerged, some all the way.  It makes for an interesting site.  Some of the statues further out and subject to more sea water immersion are quite corroded whereas others nearer the shore are more intact.


It was a windy and blustery day but it was an invigorating walk on the beach.  You have to be careful as the sands are very flat and the tide moves in quite quickly.  In the 30 or 40 seconds it took me to take a picture of one statue I found water lapping around my feet and the statue’s base was quickly submerged.


Apparently the statues being relatively fixed in place are being used to monitor sand movement on the beach area.  There were quite a few signs of beach sand being moved around both by tides and by the wind. 





Other than the statues I didn’t see much of note in Crosby.  There was, at one time, supposed to be a lot of debris from the WWII bombing of Liverpool on the beach.  Supposedly bricks and architectural ornaments and the like.  All I saw was a few bricks and rubble in one location.  I think the sand has swept over and covered the rest of the debris.

Liverpool blitz debris perhaps


No comments: