Monday, January 02, 2006

Let My People Go Surfing

I have just finished reading Yvonne Chouinard’s story of his business life and how he built his company, Patagonia, into the company it is today. The book's title is Let My People Go Surfing (one of his early ideas was to allow people to take time off to do what they enjoyed provided the work got done – so if the surf was up, they could cut out and go surfing). I have always admired Yvonne Chouinard as a climber, adventurer and as a business person. He always seems to have done what he enjoyed doing, he has made some great products and he has one of the most ethical and environmental companies that I know of.

The sub-title of the book is "The Education of a Reluctant Businessman". I must admit, I have always felt somewhat like a reluctant businessman (if I can call myself one). Businessman never seemed to be a role you should necessarily aspire to. What on earth I was doing getting an MBA, I do not know - just one of those aberrations of my life in the 80's.

Anyway, I would highly recommend the book, as a business book, and as a good read for anyone who cares about the environment. It should be mandatory reading for any MBA program. If only more businesses were run with just a fraction of Patagonia’s ethics.

No comments: