Sunday, April 02, 2006

The American River 50 Miler

Yesterday I ran the American River 50 from Sacramento up the trails to Auburn. Not quite sure how I got to that state where I would think that running for 50 miles was a good thing to do, but at 6:00 am yesterday on a rainy morning I found myself at the start line down by Sacramento State University.

As the distance increases in these running events and particularly on the trail runs, the body shapes and the age distributions changes. At yesterday’s start there was a motley looking crew with a much higher proportion of older people (like me) and all sorts of body shapes and sizes. Looking at some folks you just would not think they would be capable of running that far – they looked so un-athletic. I suppose it is more of a mental game at that distance and all you need is the will to keep going rather than the speed.

I had decided to try and run the race in three parts, a 30 mile run up to Folsom (Beall’s Point) followed by two 10 milers to Rattlesnake Bar and then on to the finish at the Dam Overlook in Auburn. I figured that if I could get the first 30 out of the way with something left then I could hang on for the next two sections.

I got to the first 20 miles done but then I started to feel way too tired for not being even half way. From 20 to 30 miles it was a tough section for me and I had doubts about not being able to get through it. However, at mile 30 I changed shoes and picked up my pacer Michelle and things got a lot better. That is where the real trail section of the course starts and we slopped along through mud and muck and I was enjoying it again. I picked up my next pacer (Brian) at Rattlesnake and he got me through the final 10 miles.

The finish of the race is a 3 mile uphill out from the bottom of the canyon to Auburn – a cruel but fitting end. At that point I just wanted to be done with it so I was able to muster some energy to run at least parts of the hill. At the finish it was a wonderful feeling, there were a bunch of friends there and it really felt that I had done something. My time was 12 hrs 5 mins, so not fast by any means but that was not the goal.

It was a good experience, I am glad I did it, I am very grateful to all the friends who gave me encouragement on the way and at the finish, but I am not sure it is something I want to repeat. And as far as going further is concerned – 100 K or 100 Miles – of which there are plenty of races – I just don’t think I need to go there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»