Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Yoga

I have been trying to do a bit of yoga lately. After threatening to do it for many years, I am pleased to say I finally got around to doing it. The type of yoga I have been doing is Bikram Yoga – that’s the so-called “hot” yoga where it all takes place in a room heated to 105 deg F. Allegedly the high temperatures make you more flexible and more able to stretch but, in reality, while it makes you more flexible, it also makes it completely exhausting.

It has actually been quite a humbling experience for me. I felt that I was reasonably fit, but trying to make it through a 90 minute yoga session in 105 degrees of heat left me absolutely exhausted and acutely aware of how inflexible my body is. There are so many poses that I can’t even get close to doing at this point because my old body is just not flexible. Everyone says that you are never too old and that the flexibility will return but I am skeptical.

Anyway, I think the whole thing is doing me some good. Let’s see how long I keep it up and if some of that flexibility comes back (was it ever there I wonder?).

No comments: