Saturday, August 11, 2007

Sicko

Last weekend, I went to the theatre/theater/movies/cinema (not sure which is correct anymore) to see the latest Michael Moore film, Sicko. It’s about the sad state of the American Health Care system, and the apparently wonderful free health care enjoyed by our European and Canadian counterparts. The US Healthcare industry is easy to poke holes in and Michael Moore makes a nice job of pointing out its shortcomings while taking a few jabs at the Bush administration at the same time. Quite frankly it made me angry at the direction this country has taken in adopting for profit healthcare. Too many people fall through the cracks.

But that’s wasn’t the most worrying thing that evening. As I approached the cinema box office, I asked for two tickets for Sicko – the young lady looked at me and said, “Is that two ordinary tickets?” I was puzzled for a while, until I looked up and saw the price list – Adults, Students and the dreaded - Senior Citizens. Obviously she mistook me for a much older person. She didn’t see the spring in my step and the youthful gleam in my eye. After my protests, she said that she asked everyone the same question – I don’t think so.

Oh well, I suppose these occasions will become more and more frequent, until I just breakdown and accept the cheaper rates.

No comments: