Wednesday, January 30, 2008

David Lindley

David Lindley played in Sacramento last night. Now, I have always admired his work - he has played with just about everyone in the music business over these last 30 years from Crosby, Stills and Nash, to Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan, and Ry Cooder (check out the list on his web site - a vertiable who's who). However, it was his work with Jackson Browne that I really, really like. His accompaniment on Jackson Browne's Late for the Sky is just a beautiful thing and I have enjoyed listening to it for well over 30 years now.

Alas, last night's show did not quite live up to my, admittedly, high expectations. He is, no doubt, a very accomplished musician and the show was not bad by any standards, its just that I was expecting something more and I didn't quite get it. He played a lot of accoustic slide guitar (there's a limit to how much you can take of that) with a little bit of oud and bouzouki thrown in, and, alas, I didn't recognize any of the songs.

No comments: