Wednesday, January 16, 2008

More Delhi Sightseeing

Today, Wednesday, was my last full day in Delhi. Tomorrow I fly to the UK.

I was tired of inhaling all the fumes in the open air auto-rickshaws, so I rented a car for the day. At 600 rupees per day for a car and driver that is just over US $15 - not a bad deal at all.

I took in a few temples - there are so many of them - I am just about templed out now. Still the relatively new Bahai faith Lotus Temple (below) was quite spectacular.


The similarly recent Hare Krishha temple (below), however, was not quite so inspiring. Still you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, or a faith by its architecture, should you? Maybe you should.


Later in the day I went to the museums for Mahatma Gandhi and Indira Gandhi (no relation). The Mahatma Gandhi museum is in the house that he was staying in when he was assasinated in 1948. It was well worth the visit. There are a few of Gandhi's artifacts in the house, a modern multi-media exhibition on his life and then outlines of his last steps from the house out to the garden where he was assasinated by a Hindu radical.

The Indira Gandhi museum was not quite as peaceful, it being thronged with visitors, so many that you were really carried along by the crowd before you could really read any of the exhibits. The museum was also in the house where Indira lived at the time of here death and there was also a marker of her last steps in the garden to the spot where she was killed by members of her own security guard.

At the end of the day I visited the Red Fort in the old part of Delhi, another spectacular site, but I have seen so many in these in the last few days, that they are all blurring together. Besides after the Taj Mahal yesterday, its kind of hard for any of the other sites to really stand out. Temple overload I am afraid.

No comments: