Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Bees Make Honey

I finally finished harvesting all the honey from my bees the other night. It has been a good year - at least compared to my miserable returns with them last year (I didn't harvest any honey at all).

This year I retrieved just over 60lbs of honey - 24 from my first and oldest hive, 38 from the second hive, and none (or at least nothing worth disrupting the hive for) from the third one. The variance in the production of the hives is surprising, they are all adjacent to each other in the back yard, they all look reasonably healthy in my eyes. The best producer and the worst were even acquired from the same shipment to the bee store and were installed on the same day. I wonder why they are so different.

Anyway, this is all well and good but now I have to get rid of the stuff. I have been driving around with honey in the car for the last few weeks giving anyone I know a jar or two. I still have over 30 lbs to go, so anyone who needs honey please get in touch.

No comments: