Friday, October 03, 2008

Noah's Bris

Another first for me this week - attending my first bris. My friends Julia and Greg had a baby last week - Noah Michael - and, in line with Jewish tradition, when a male child is 8 days old he should be circumcised (apparently it says so in the Bible or is it the Torah - one of those).

I guess I knew such things were common in the Jewish faith, but I didn't realize they made such a party out of it with friends, family, food and all. We all congregated at Julia's mum's house and the deed was done right there in the living room in front of everyone (with a camera man on hand to record the 'happy' event).

I never cease to be amazed at the things we all do in the name of religion, and bringing what is a surgical procedure into your living room is certainly one of the more interesting rituals. Still the whole reinforcement of community and family ties is a good thing and that's what was happening - something we atheists have to work harder at. Of course not that poor old Noah will remember much about bonding with the family quite yet, hopefully not anyway or else he might resent his dad holding him down while the cut was made.

Congratulations to Greg and Julia and best wishes for a speedy recovery to Noah.

No comments: