Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pirates Cove 30K

Yesterdy was my birthday, so I thought I would celebrate it in relative obscurity by going out of town to run a trail run in the Marin Headlands. Alas it seemed like everyone knew it was my birthday (I blame Facebook) and so the event did not pass with the intended obscurity. I had birthday presents and birthday cup cakes before the race and a chorus of Happy Birthday as I crossed the finish line. Nevertheless it was a great day out and thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes.


Pam,Dianne and your truly

Pacific Coast Trail Runs are a group that put on excellent runs around the Bay Area. Pretty low key, but well marked courses and great aid stations. The Marin Headlands north of San Francisco are absolutely wonderful. Spectacular scenery with views of the Pacific Ocean, the San Francisco Bay, the Golden Gate and the city itself. Most of the time you feel like you are in the wilderness and then you pop over a ridge to see San Francisco, or Tiburon and you know you are pretty close to a major urban area. However, there’s not much flat ground around there, so the run was pretty arduous. We were either going up or going down; there was not much easy going.

It was an overcast day that was perfect for running, and the rain held off until after I finished. Here are some photos from the event.

No comments: