Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A swarm of bees


I came home this lunchtime and just happened to take a look out back where the bee hives are and, lo and behold, a swarm of bees were hanging outside one of my hives.

This last winter has been disastrous for my bees. In the fall I had three healthy and productive hives and then slowly through the winter, one by one, they died off. I am not sure of the cause, but it wasn't like the prior years where hives just disappeared without a trace, this time there were lots of dead bees left over. Anyway, I cleaned up the hives and left them outside through the winter and then a couple of weeks ago I noticed some bees had occupied one of the hives. My good luck I thought, but now today, even more good luck, and we have another swarm outside one of the other hives.


I just checked this evening and they are still there - though they are now inside the hive where they should be. Perhaps I won't even need the 2 packages of bees I had ordered earlier in the spring. We will see if they stick around.

No comments: