Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Back in the U.S. of A....

After almost 5 weeks I am now back in the USA. Things with mum appear to be getting better and I left her in the, hopefully, capable hands of social workers, friends and family.

Since I left there have been a continuous stream of people showing up at the door so she has not been short of company. Regretfully, though they have the best of intentions, the Social Workers have been failing her with poor communications between the various groups (a local group and a district rehabilitation group) and limited availability of staff. On Sunday morning, someone showed up to get her up and dressed, but was apparently waiting for someone to answer the door (the door was unlocked) before they entered which sounds more than a little disconcerting when the whole purpose of the visit was to get my mum out of bed! On Monday, two people showed up each not aware of the others visit.

I have faith that it will all settle down with time and that my mum has enough additional support from family and friends to tide her through this initial period until the Social Services gets its act together.

No comments: