Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The not so Great North Run (for some)...

This last weekend was The Great North Run in Newcastle, England. It is a half marathon distance run that generates a lot of interest and of the order of 50,000 entrants. I did it a few years back, me and Paula Radcliffe, though I didn’t see much of her, she was up front somewhere.

Anyway, in this year’s event, a total of four people died. That’s a lot of casualties for one race - probably a combination of a warm day, unprepared runners and a bit of bad luck. Anyway, it is more fuel to those who think this running game is not entirely the best thing for someone (especially for someone of my age) but I am having none of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, 4 people dying in one day in a random selection of 50,000 doesn't seem bad to me. I bet in any random slice of 50,000 people, more than 4--let's say 10--people die of unexplained causes in one day. So, the race (or rather, the training preparation for it) has in fact SAVED 6 lives in this scenario. The actual number of lives saved may be much higher. So, running is a good activity.