Friday, September 30, 2005

Eliza Gilkyson

Eliza Gilkyson played at The Palms in Winters last night. It was a great show and I higly recommend her music. The Palms is surely one of the treasures of this area, I can think of no other club that offers such a small intimate venue to see such great music – unsurpassed not even in the Bay Area, to my knowledge.

I didn’t know much about Eliza, other than she had a great voice and that she did a wonderful track on that Nod To Bob album of a few years back to commemorate Bob Dylan’s 60th birthday (a great album by the way). I thought Eliza was some young upstart singer from Austin, but, no, she was my age, an old gal who has been around for quite some time (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Her encore song was a sing along version of “Bear Necessities” from the soundtrack of Disney’s Jungle Book. It worked great – and as I later found out (I know I need to get a life instead of searching the internet for the music to Disney songs) Bear Necessities was written by Eliza’s father, Terry Gilkyson,. I guess the musical talent was passed on in the genes.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hi Steve,

I discovered Eliza's music because of Bob Harris on BBC Radio 2. When you've been here in the UK, have you listened to his Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night shows? (I'm SURE you have -- you grew up here!!!) He's fantastic -- and honestly, I've learned more about North American folk & country artists through him than I did when I lived in Houston.

Eliza is great! I envy your getting to see her live!

Janet

(lordcelery.blogspot.com)

Janet said...

AND...BTW....an "old gal" my age? Gosh, Steve, that applies to ME, also!!!!

YIKES!


Janet