Monday, December 05, 2005

The California International Marathon…

This weekend was the highpoint of Sacramento’s running year, the California International Marathon, from the town of Folsom to the steps of the State Capitol in downtime Sacramento.

Now I had planned on running the entire marathon, I was even somewhat trained for it, but for the first time ever, I listened to my body (that’s what everyone tells you to do isn't it?). I had been wrestling with this leg/hip problem for at least 4 weeks and I just couldn’t get things working right. I think the term is – I had a hitch in my giddyup. So I listened to my body and just ran a half of the marathon (as part of two person relay team).

It was just great, 13 miles is my preferred distance anyway - long enough to feel like you have done something, not long enough to damage you for weeks to come. It was perfect conditions for running too - clear, cool and dry. While the winner, a Russian guy, finished the whole 26.2 miles in 2 hrs 18 mins, I turned in a respectable (for me) 1 hr 50 mins for just half that distance. I was well pleased.

1 comment:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I listened to my body too; it said "Skip the marathon, go eat bon-bons."

Ok, it is suggesting that I should get out and walking again, at the very least. Why did it wait for subzero temps before it mentioned it?!!