Sunday, November 05, 2006

Janis Ian

I went to see Janis Ian perform the other night. I hadn’t kept up with her music since the 70’s when I bought her classic Between the Lines LP. Now some 30 or more years later, there she was still singing many of those old songs (I wonder how many times in her career she has performed “At Seventeen”). Her voice was great – it has hardly changed in all these years, but I wasn’t prepared for how she looked. Her hair is completely white now and she is no longer the waif like folk singer from my youth. Probably what irks me more is that I also am not the same as I was in the 70’s and at least Janis has hair even if it is white.

Anyway, she did a wonderful show, highly recommended. And she's been working all these years - there's like 25 albums out there.

No comments: