Sunday, July 09, 2006

The flowers of Castle Peak


Another little hike in the Sierras this weekend – this time up Castle Peak which is another one of those easy access freeway hikes (you literally park by the off ramp from Interstate 80 and the first few hundred yards are accompanied by the roar of passing trucks).


Most of the snow had gone by now, and the flowers were just going wild. I am not sure what all these different kinds are, but to follow are some photographs that I will try and identify – help anyone?

I think I have them all named now, thanks to Allison Spreadborough, who put identified them all for me.


This is a Sierra Onion surrounded by Phlox.


and this is one of the lupines, which one I am not quite sure.


This is what I call Indian Paintbrush. But then I call everything that's red Indian Paintbrush.


This I thought was the Mariposa Lily (Calochortus Invenustus) - my favourite. Actually Allison tells me this is the Sego Lily. Same family, different species.


Above is the Penstemon.


And finally the Scarlet Gilia.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Really lovely, Steve. I'll see if my botanist-trained husband can help with any of them! ;-)

Janet