Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Fleetwood Mac - it's come to this....

I was more than a little dismayed when I visited Costco this evening (for those in the UK Costco is one of those membership warehouse stores – perhaps you may even have Costcos in the UK by now). Anyway, I went in the store this evening to be greeted by a sign announcing Mick Fleetwood, of Fleetwood Mac fame, was going to be there on Friday afternoon. Not playing music (that would be a strange venue indeed) but signing wine bottles; a wine signing they called it. First I didn’t realize there was such a thing as a wine signing, but I was kind of disappointed that one of the icons of the 60’s music scene was doing this.

In checking his website this evening, I find that he is a big wine “connoisseur” (he had a reputation as a drinker in the early days too) and that he is doing a tour of Costcos signing wine bottles.

I know that after their early days with Peter Green, Fleetwood Mac were never quite the same and they got a bit too “poppy” for my liking but isn’t he getting enough royalties from the records? I hear them all the time on the radio.


I have fond memories of their 1968 Album – Mr Wonderful – the cover above, I believe was Mr. Fleetwood himself.

No comments: