Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Florida, Tech Ed 2007 and maybe a Shuttle Launch

So here I am over in Florida for Microsoft’s Tech Ed Conference. The conference, Microsoft’s annual tech fest, is in Orlando, at the Orange County Convention Center – a monstrous place so big that with 12,000 computer geeks wandering around it barely seems crowded.

Florida is not one of my favorite places. Or should I say Orlando is not one of my favorite places as I have not yet visited any other parts of Florida, I hope to do that at the weekend. Orlando seems to have little going for it other than a lot if mega-amusement parks – something I can live without. And it’s oh so sticky and humid at this time of year.

So what to do in Florida is the question. Since I am over here, I decided to stay over the weekend and take a look around. I figure a drive down the Florida Keys to Key West will be the thing to do. It looks so impressive on the map – a long thin string of islands connected by bridges to the very tip of America. It’s something worth doing before global warming submerges it and takes it away from us. Of course the other thing I thought of was the Kennedy Space Center and to my surprise, there is a Shuttle launch scheduled for Friday evening. How convenient is that –the conference finishes Friday afternoon, and then at 7:30 there is a Shuttle Launch. The odds are not great as they frequently run into delays, but if all goes well I will be out there on Cocoa Beach watching the lift off.

No comments: