Saturday, June 02, 2007

Not quite qualified to live in England

My friend Janet recently wrote about the process she, as an American, has to go through to continue to live in the UK. Apparently having an English husband isn't quite enough these days and she has to take the "Life in the UK Test".

So I thought I would give it a try to see if I could pass the test - regretfully I failed. Well not quite failed, I just got the indication that I would probably fail if I took the test right now and I should study before the exam.


Oh dear, what a shwme and I aced the U.S. Citizenship test. However, the U.S. questions, as you would expect (wouldn't you?), were somewhat less challenging.

The questions I got for US Citizenship were:
1. Who lives in the White House? They were looking for the President, not necessarily the name of the President.
2. Who would become President if the President dies? Again they were looking for Vice President only. Of course now, if they asked the question and you had to answer Dick Cheney everyone would reconsider and leave the building.
3. What was the 49th State of the Union? - it could only be Alaska or Hawaii, and I guessed right - Alaska.

It was interesting the questions asked. In the US Citizenship test it is almost all historical stuff or government stucture whereas the questions on the sampling I did were mostly related to benefits for health and dental care. And for some reason there were a lot of options about Scotland - seems like that is another country now (and one with better benefits as well).

No comments: