Friday, June 08, 2007

Life at Tech Ed, Orlando

I am almost through with my week at Tech Ed in Florida. It has been a great conference, lots of good stuff coming down the pike from Microsoft – each with its own cute project name - Silverlight, Orcas, Cider, Acropolis, Katmai to name but a few. They probably have fun deciding on those project names.

As for Orlando, I still can’t say that I am a fan. I have hardly been outside for the entire week. It’s just not nice out there in that “not so-fresh’ air.

Last night (Thursday), Microsoft rented out one of the local theme parks for use the of conference attendees – Universal’s Islands of Adventure. The deal was that we all got the run of the place for the evening with all the food and drink that we could handle thrown in – that could be the makings of a good party. But actually not – it rained just as we got there and when it rains here it ‘really’ rains here. The park was well equipped though handing out ponchos to everyone. Still there were thousands of software developers wandering around like drowned rats eating and drinking way too much.

But even without the bad weather, I don’t think I would have been raving about it. I just don’t get this theme park thing – yes its great for kids, but why would an adult do it and why would an adult do it in a hot steamy place like Orlando.

However, the shuttle launch is still on. That is 80% for go at 7:40 this evening.

No comments: