Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Alaska Planning

I have been trying to lay out the plan for the bike trip to Alaska this summer. Trying to figure out if I can get to Anchorage in a week, in time for the Midnight Sun Marathon. It looks like it is going to be do-able if I can manage to ride from 400 to 600 miles per day.

The first draft of the route has the following nightly stops:
Day 1 - Eugene, Oregon
Day 2 - Seattle, Washington
Day 3 - Prince George, British Columbia
Day 4 - Fort Nelson, British Columbia
Day 5 - Whitehorse, Yukon
Day 6 - Anchorage, Alaska

So far I have only ridden for about 2 hours at a stretch. I need to find out if I can ride for a complete day. Then I need to find out if I can string 6 such days back to back. Then there is the little issue of running the marathon, but hopefully that will be something I know all about. Of course everyone who I have related this intent to has chuckled and looked at me as if I were crazy for even thinking about it. I wouldn't mind, but most of them know a lot more about motorcycle riding than I do.

No comments: