Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Road Trip Day 2

I stayed in Monterey overnight and on Saturday morning started out early for one of the best bits of road in California, if not the entire planet – down Highway 1 from Monterey to Los Angeles.

Some of the hightlights - Big Sur – a nice place with a great name and a good name always helps; Hearst Castle – if you have to have a castle then this is a pretty good place to put it; Morro Bay – an ugly little town and how on earth did they get permission to put that power station there; San Luis Obispo – what a difference a University in your town makes; Santa Maria – a not so attractive town currently famous for hosting the Michael Jackson trial (I took a ride around town, the unimpressive Court House was surrounded with fencing to keep the crowds at bay and had a parking lot full of TV trucks); Ventura – my old residence for a few years, not as attractive as I once thought it was; Los Angeles – I had forgotten how horrible the traffic is (driving through Los Angeles down to Orange County was just too stressful on a motorcycle - too many cars, either stop and go, or racing along at 80 to 90 miles per hour, and all too dangerous for a motorcycle).

I stayed the evening in Mission Viejo with my old friend Lynn on Saturday. It was nice to catch up after all the time that had passed. I knew Lynn when I lived down in Southern California and that was 25 years ago. Where did all that time go!

No comments: