Monday, April 11, 2005

Life with Mum - Part 1

I am back in Sacramento now, having brought my mother over with me for what will be an 8 week vacation for her. She is doing remarkably well for a now 86 year old woman. It is her birthday today and tonight we are celebrating with frozen Lasagne and Lemonade – it doesn’t get any better than that – not chez Steve anyway. This morning we had a birthday breakfast with a muffin with a candle in it.

I am a little paranoid about mum having an accident while she is over here. Over the past few years we have managed to make my mum’s house a safer place – changed the bath for a shower, got rid of all the superfluous mats and rugs that she could trip over, screwed handles to the walls to help her in and out of the doors, jacked up the sofa and chairs so she doesn’t have to bend down so low, provided her with an alarm system to wear around her neck, etc. Now she is in my “unsafe” house and I have to try and limit the dangers. We are going to raise the sofa on wooden blocks, we have taken away some of the rugs, but still this is not as safe a house as the one she left. It is kind of scary because there is plenty of opportunity for something to go wrong. However, on the whole I think she would sooner be here than at home, whatever the risks. We will just have to be very careful that’s all.

No comments: