Friday, April 15, 2005

Tax Day - April 15

For all you non-American residents, today is April 15, a day know to every American as the deadline for filing their Income Tax returns and making good with the Government for all that they owe them. The Tax filing process is just way too complicated and the government should be ashamed of putting their residents through this – you should not need to hire an Accountant or be an Accountant or buy Software to do the job. It just doesn’t seem right to have to pay money to figure out how much you have to pay the Government. Here in California we also have a State Income Tax, so we have the privilege of filling out two sets of forms. I have long since stopped filling the forms out by hand (I took pride in doing this for so long), and I have been using tax software for the last few years.

I finished my forms on Thursday but waited until this evening to mail them. Since I owed the Government some money this was just fine – no point in giving it to them too early. Mum and I drove out to the main Post Office this evening to mail in the forms. I was not the only one who left it so late – the Post Office was quite the popular place – the police were out in force controlling traffic, the Post Office had people collecting envelopes from you as you drove by, the local TV stations were there, and cars were in line for a quarter mile or so.

No comments: