Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Sistine Chapel of the Ice Age

I was browsing around the BBC News site yesterday and came across an article about Creswell Crags, a place just a few miles from where I grew up in England. The Crags is a relatively small limestone gorge with caves that were inhabited back in the last ice age and they contain the only examples of Palaeolithic cave art in the UK. The drawings have been dated at around 12,800 years old and while they are not as impressive as the ones to be found in France and Spain, they are the most northerly examples of this kind of thing. One of the researchers refers to a particular cave as the “Sistine Chapel of the Ice Age”. I like that. As I was growing up, I always thought that my local area was relatively unimpressive, but, as time went by, I discovered that it contains all sorts of wonderful things. We even have a crooked spire.

No comments: