Thursday, August 25, 2005

Bolsover Castle

I am continuing to explore the historical past of my home town area. The other day, I went to visit Bolsover Castle. A dominant feature of the landscape around here, but a place that I hadn’t visited since junior school days. The castle has been there in some form or another since Norman times (12 Century), but the present day structure mostly dates from the 1600’s when it was rebuilt as the country home of William Cavendish a big buddy of Charles the First (the one who got his head chopped off!). After the Civil War it wasn’t such a good thing to be a buddy of King Charles, so William had to exile himself to Holland.

The castle has been restored and it is a quite wonderful site now. Hats off to English Heritage for doing a great job in the renovation and providing a great guided tour. I am finding it quite fascinating to re-discover all the old history of this area of Derbyshire. There is so much of interest here and I never really paid any attention to it before.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok Steve, so how is your mum doing?
Did'nt she have a gall stone procedure yesterday? Brian.

Anonymous said...

Two new waves lurk in Atlantic
If you can bring yourself to take your eyes off Katrina for a minute, let your gaze drift a little bit southeast.

I was surfing through a few blogs and came across yours and wanted to say
very nice job on the content, so I have bookmarked your site for future
reference.

Just in case you are interested I have a bowflex treadmill
site. It pretty much covers bowflex treadmill related stuff.

Stop by sometime :=)