Tuesday, August 02, 2005

UK Bound

I am off to the UK again – my mum is in hospital after a fall - hopefully she will be alright, nothing is broken but at the present time she is just not recovering very well.

So here I am in SFO waiting for the Virgin flight to Heathrow – 10 hours of blissfully comfortable travel I am sure!

It is peak travel time and I had to buy a ticket on short notice. It took a fair bit of digging around on the internet but I finally found something reasonable – by reasonable I mean less that $1,000 (actually $990) – that’s probable very reasonable for short notice at this time of year.

It is surprising how all the various multi-site searches like Expedia or SideStep or Priceline or CheapTickets all give different pricing answers to the same flights. You would thing they are all searching similar databases, but all the results are different. Priceline turned out to be the cheapest this time (last time it was the British Airways home site). There just doesn’t seem to be one place to go for the best deal, you have to try them all and see what anomalies pop out.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Oh Steve,

We are so sorry. Please keep us posted on how she's doing, and also give her our very best.

She's very lucky that you can get away on short notice to fly home to help.

Let us know how she's doing, please!

Janet