Friday, August 26, 2005

Out of Hospital...

After 3 ½ weeks, my mother was finally released from hospital today, She is now much better and hopefully just needs time now to recuperate and to get back some of her mobility. After spending most of the last 4 weeks in a bed, she is understandably a bit shaky on her feet.

So for me 3 weeks of hospital visits come to an end. In many ways it was kind of sad to say goodbye to everyone at the hospital. The patients who all wanted to go home themselves but weren’t quite as lucky. The nurses who perform such a heroic job of caring for the patients - my hats off to them. The other visitors who came each day just like me. The doctors who all seemed so young to me (once upon a time a doctor was very much an older person, now it seems that they are barely out of their teens. Anyway, it was all quite a community at the hospital. I am grateful to have been a part of it for a while.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Hi Steve!

This is all good news -- I'm so happy your mum is coming home!

I read your comments with interest, and I can certainly connect with them. It's always a bit sad to get a connection with a community for awhile like that -- in your case, the hospital staff -- and then step completely out of it, possibly forever. And you will always wonder what becomes of some of the people you've been interacting with. It's one of those strange things about life -- especially as we get older -- that we step in and out of others' lives like that.

I also have really enjoyed the photos. John and I MUST come to your part of England some time.

But for now, I just need some sleep...!!!

Take care of yourself and your mum! And our best to her, please!

Janet