Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hello there, sports fans....

What a great couple of weeks of sport over here in the UK - at least my kind of sport anyway.

First, two truly fine Test Matches between England and Australia. For those American’s reading this who are not cricket fans, a Test Match is an international cricket match typically lasting 5 days with so many nuances and fine points that I couldn’t begin to explain (but check this link out). Suffice it to say that the matches were amazing and the entire country has been so enthralled by the games that we hardly noticed the start of football season (U.S. translation = soccer) last weekend.

Then we had the World Championship of Athletics in Helsinki. Last weekend we had full coverage of both the Men’s (Saturday) and the Women’s (Sunday) marathons on the BBC. That was start to finish coverage of both races with no advertising. That would never happen in America, over 2 hours each day of people running through the streets! Not even ESPN 7 or 8 or whatever number they are up to now would have found time for that.

The really sad thing is that I bet no one in the US even knew that the Athletics World Championships were taking place. What a shame.

5 comments:

Janet said...

Hi Steve,

As I said to you on the phone, that last test match in the Ashes series has gotten me completely hooked! Fantastic suspense. And I think I almost understand the rules!

You're right. The World Championships probably weren't being covered at all in the US. That's one thing I love about the BBC -- and the independent networks -- LOTS of prime-time sports coverage...the really good kind! Too bad that Sky covers so much of the football. I'd watch more if it wasn't on satellite/cable.

Hope things continue to go well there!

Janet

(www.lordcelery.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

Steve White after reading your blog it reminded me to update mine. My passion for patriots runs deep. If you are like me business is a constant; But a respite from it gives me a fresh outlook. My http://serendipitysuccess.blogspot.com/2005/11/update-to-steelers-climb-to-top-of-afc.html has a similar theme and patriots plays important roles too. Football especially for most fans and partners is a highlight in the autumn and articles create great gatherings. Thanks for your Hello there, sports fans.....

Anonymous said...

Steve White your Hello there, sports fans.... makes a great read. In my http://serendipitysuccess.blogspot.com/2005/11/update-to-steelers-climb-to-top-of-afc.html football and its dynamic ability to create passion in individuals drives what blogging is all about. Other subject matter in your Hello there, sports fans.... blog simply adds to the flavor of our blogging community. Keep up your great prose and themes for it creates great reading for all of us. Other sports fans will always move us to different plateaus in life. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

sports articles teams and business people depend on great sports articles. Steve White your Hello there, sports fans.... certainly was a great read and I simply had to post to you. I do have a similar passion as can be read at http://serendipitysuccess.blogspot.com/2005/11/update-to-steelers-climb-to-top-of-afc.html although its theme is slanted to one or more of my passions, sports articles is the important thing. Keep up your great thoughts and writings. Other passions inlcude sports articles

Anonymous said...

Steve White after reading your blog it reminded me to update mine. My passion for sports articles runs deep. If you are like me business is a constant; But a respite from it gives me a fresh outlook. My http://serendipitysuccess.blogspot.com/2005/11/update-to-steelers-climb-to-top-of-afc.html has a similar theme and sports articles plays important roles too. Football especially for most fans and partners is a highlight in the autumn and articles create great gatherings. Thanks for your Hello there, sports fans.....