Monday, June 13, 2005

Alaska Road Trip - Day 2

Saturday was a gloomy day, but I optimistically set off without the rain gear on. By Portland it was raining solidly again so it was back on with the waterproofs. By the time I reached Seattle, it was serious rain and it was a dicy skate through heavy traffic in the city center. By Bellingham it was clearer, but I was getting cold so the electric vest was plugged in for the first time - I actually didn't think I would need it - boy was I wrong.

I got into Canada around 5:00 in the afternoon, and after a missed turn before Vancouver, I finally got on the right road - Highway 1 to Hope. This part of the road is along the first part of the Fraser River Valley - a little wide and very agricultural (and smelly) at this part, but it narrows down and gets quite dramatic as you get closer to Hope.

I found a hotel in Hope that night. 498 miles on the second day - not bad considering the conditions. The bike is going very well - it cruises real effortlessly around 80 mph.

No comments: