Monday, June 20, 2005

The Return Trip - Day 2

An early start from Beaver Creek this morning on the final leg to the ferry in Haines. Guess what - it was raining - no surprise there.

There are lots of road repairs on this section of the Highway, though, thankfully, the weather cleared up as I worked my way through each one. It could have been a bit slippy going through in the rain, but as it was, it was the other extreme - dusty. I guess it is either one or the other up here. Dusty is better though because on a bike they let you get to the front of the queue so that you only have to deal with the pilot car's dust as they lead you through the construction zones.

Coming over the Haines pass it was quite nasty - rain and a cold wind off the mountains and remnants of snow at road level! Not that I should have anything to complain about, there was a cyclist (of the non-motorized version) pushing his way up to the summit. Now that has to be hard. I have been amazed at these cyclists, there aren't many of them, but every now and then you spot one out in the middle of nowhere in the nastiest of conditions - I wonder where they plug in their electric vests?

I realize that I have been writing a lot about the rain - well there has been a lot of it and even the locals are complaining, but regardless, each day has been a wonderful day - rain or shine. No complaints really.

For the next three days it will be a leisurely cruise on the Alaska Marine Highway down the Inside Passage to Bellingham.

No comments: