Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Return Trip - Day 1

Regretfully, today (Sunday) I have to leave Anchorage to catch the ferry from Haines on Monday evening. Most of my fellow marathoners from Sacramento left today anyway, so other, than resting those tired legs, there was no real reason to stay.

As usual I started out in relatively good conditions - no rain at least. However, as I headed up into the mountains the weather turn damp again. So it was on with all the rain gear again and off into the clouds I went. Actually it wasn't too bad until the road from Tok Junction down to the Canadian Border, where it started to pour down. I'd had enough by the time I reached my destination of Beaver Creek, the first town inside the Canadian border.

Beaver Creek is small, really small - it is the most westernmost settlement in Canada. The usual gas station, hotel, restaurant combination. But in this small community there is a laundromat, where they have a computer on a little roll around cart and you can get Internet access. Isn't that amazing, in this far flung outpost of Yukon Territory you can do a load of laundry and post to your blog! On the other hand my hotel room here is so primitive it doesn't even have television.

Tomorrow, it's a run down the road back into the USA and on to Haines where I pick up the ferry.

And for all those who doubted my ability to mount my motorcycle after the marathon - it really wasn't a problem at all. It wasn't an elegant process but I could do it.

No comments: