Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Alaska Road Trip - Day 5

The morning was wet, really wet. I thought of going back to the room and waiting it out, but then I realised I would be driven crazy by Michael Jackson verdict analyses on the television - I couldn't stand that (though I did like Letterman's quip about Saddam Hussein wanting his trial moved to Santa Maria, Ca).

Anyway, I braved the rain yet again. More shades of grey and green again, with the addition of an ice blue glacial lake near the top of the pass. It was a bit more mountainous out of Fort Nelson and there was patches of snow on the hills. There were animals today - several moose, some caribou, and a black bear ambling across the road in front of me. The moose seem skittish and not sensible about moving out of the way in the right direction - not the kind of thing you need to make contact with.

Passing back over the Continental Divide again, now back to the western side, the weather cleared a little and it wasn't so soggy and later in the afternoon the sun even started to shine. It made for a nice late afternoon run into Whitehorse in Yukon Territory. Whitehorse is quite the bustling tourist spot playing on its Yukon goldrush days, a railway to Skagway and lots of river sport type things (rafting, kayaking, etc).

Its 10:00 pm now and the sun is still way up in the sky - thank goodness for blackout curtains. Some 610 miles today - a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say hi to Rory while your up there:


http://neopoleon.com/blog/posts/14772.aspx

Anonymous said...

Steve, I am impressed with your mileage. Also, bumped I cannot be on the road with you. The Pacific Northwest is a rain forest for a reason. As you encounter the next inevitable rain storm, think about joining me for Baja in February or March 2006. Keep the rubber side down, and yield to all critters bigger than a squirrel.

Jack