Monday, June 13, 2005

Alaska Road Trip - Day 3

Another damp and cold morning. Today, I start off with the rain gear and the electric vest, no point in starting off on the wrong foot. The rain is intermittant as the road snakes along the Fraser River Valley and later up the Thompson River Valley. This is a spectacular piece of country - dramatic canyons, a huge river in the bottom, railroads on either side (why are there two I wonder?) and a road stuck to the side of the canyon.

After lunch in Cache Creek the road leaves the river and there are some nice dry spells - everything comes together with a nice dry stretch of gently twisting road, a little sun, some beautiful country and to top it off a couple of bald eagles circling above the road. It was worth it all just for that.

This is the land of lumber, everywhere there are logging trucks and every town has its saw mill or pulp mill or both. I guess you can say that there is some beautiful country in this part of British Columbia, but I am afraid the towns are not so nice. I don't think there has been one (except perhaps Hope) that made me think that I would want to return to stay longer.

That night I stay in Prince George - another ugly lumber town - after a 408 mile day.

No comments: